Monday, May 18, 2009

Grow - verb. To increase by natural development, as any living organism or part by assimilation of nutriment; increase in size or substance.

Yay, the garden update is here! Just for Crystal who specifically asked. I've been randomly taking pictures of the garden as it's been moving along. We start at the beginning and go to today, the last picture I took this afternoon. It's been such a fun experience. I've had gardens in the past, my family had them when I was young and my grandpa and grandma had huge ones when I was really young. This is my first vegetable garden on my own and so far so good.
This is Darrell, the friendly neighborhood tiller. I sent an email out asking if I could borrow one and he offered to do it for me, isn't Charlotte great? I think it is, especially NoDa. I've learned my lesson about choosing my location for gardens though. First off, I forgot that trees grow leaves, so even if my yard is super sunny in the spring doesn't mean it will be that way in the summer. Also, the tree that I've planted my garden near is some sort of berry tree that drops LAYERS of dark berries all over my garden on a daily basis...so, I guess I'll be more detailed next time.
After I treated the soil with some organic material and plant food...a blank slate.
Insert my little transplants. The onions didn't do as well as I liked, only a couple are sprouting little green chives so I'm hoping more will kick in.
Xander is an amazing little helper. He likes to take that little rake and pound it in the ground. I'm glad that he can see them grow. Today we were looking at the 'flower' that was blooming on my squash plant...Yay, things are moving along! Look how small the tomato plants were...where has the time gone?
Things getting bigger and a couple more transplants added to the mix. And some landscaping added in the background.
This was a heart breaker...A nest fell from the tree above the garden. I guess it was too heavy and the bottom just fell right out of it. Unfortunately all the eggs broke in the fall. Just too sad. The good news is my squash it landed in is just fine.
All the rain has really done good things for the plants. See what I mean about the shade from the leaves...Yeah, I should have thought about that. I think for now the plants are getting enough sun, but not as much as they could have if the garden were placed in the center of the yard.
There's a little shining angel in the corner of this picture. He's using a stick to beat one of the squash plants in the corner there. This was my garden as of today, it's moving along so nicely. I love walking out and looking at it. The tomatoes even have some tiny green balls forming, it's so cute. I just think it's amazing that we can just put things in the ground and they grow and turn into things we pay a lot of money for...incredible.

2 comments:

Cora Lynn said...

amazing job! my mom-in-law and husband are growing a garden in our backyard. it is such a crazy thing to see change and grow.

Unknown said...

even my indoor garden fills me with a certain pride.