Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Labor - verb. la-bor, To strive, as toward a goal; work hard (often fol. by for): to labor for peace.

Well, two weeks ago today (well, at 12:01 am on Wednesday, February 10th, 2010) it finally happened! We gave birth to our second and super perfect and beautiful son, Jonah David Clark, 6 lbs 14 ounces and 19 inches long. Tuesday, the 9th, was a long day, I had contractions all day pretty much, nothing painful, just feeling a little off and pretty tired. I got a bath and spend most of the afternoon/evening timing contractions and durations with my mom and Caleb and big brother Xander. Around 9 pm, just in time for Lost, ha, we decided it was best to head to the hospital, I had tried to eat a banana but it didn't take and I threw up in the sink, I'm sure you're glad I'm sharing. We sent Xander to Auntie Mimi's house and he was such a trooper, we gave him kisses and said goodbye (we hadn't spent a night away from him, ever!). We arrived at the hospital around 9:30 and were sent to triage, a place where they decide if you're really in labor, they made me sit around too long, about 45 minutes, while contractions got stronger, I knew I was in labor and told them if they waited too long I wasn't going to get an epidural, because once I hit a certain point I take off. Around 10:30 they sent us to labor and delivery to get us set up and my saline started, before the epidural. Our friend Kelly stopped by a bit before 11:30 to drop off some flowers and playing cards, in case we got bored. Right after the doctor tried to get an epidural going, and I say tried because by that time I was having contractions 4 and 5 on top of each other and things were moving along. By the time the doctor told me to roll on my back and start pushing the epidural hadn't kicked in, of course, and I was already fully dilated. Pushing was much easier than with Xander so the epidural must have kicked in, thankfully, for the last part. I pushed twice and this little man was out and I was feeling great, ha. It was so nice to have my mom and Caleb with me. Here are a couple pictures of the crazy night.
Waiting in triage, the calm before the storm.
Still waiting...missing Lost...ha.
And there he is...a tiny little nugget.
Stamping his little foot.
A proud Papa all over again.
This little one gave his Mama a hard time coming out, but I guess that's what babies do.
Caleb was my hero all over again when he ran to the hospital cafeteria for a post-labor snack; french fries and Barq's root beer, a couple of my favorite cravings, that cafeteria made the hospital stay for us! There's also a bowl of carrots, ha, they were really good too! I craved a lot and Caleb was always able to deliver.

No comments: