Friday, December 12, 2008

Heartbroken - adj. heart-bro-ken, Crushed with sorrow or grief.

We had our first 'health emergency' as parents the other night. Poor little Xander has been battling a cold since Thanksgiving, I think being around all those people and maybe being in the rain at Stone Mountain really did us all in. I've been feeling pretty sick as well but I never got a fever. I was giving him Tylenol to try and battle it but apparently I wasn't giving him enough. The bottle is covered in warnings about giving your child the right amount, so I've got this major fear of overdosing, apparently it's a ridiculous fear. So, his fever was up and down for a couple days and I was keeping an eye on it closely. On Sunday it started out low; 99.1 and steadily increased until around 11:30 that night when he was burning to the touch and his temp was 104.6. Thank God for Caleb and his level head we headed over to the ER, I was in a controlled panic...
To make a long story short, we arrived at the ER, filled out paperwork, talked to the nurse and found out that I could have been DOUBLING the amount of Tylenol I've been giving him. She gave it to him and while we waited about an hour and a half for the doctor his fever went down, of course. I guess all parents have to go through this. The doctor informed me that there is no reason to panic about temperatures until it's over 106, good to know, would have liked to know before deciding to spend hundreds of dollars on a little bit of baby Tylenol.

Here's a very sad picture of a sick boy in the ER. Look at how adorable he is in that peach gown!

No comments: